11 September 2008

Upon my arrival.

When I first arrived in this world, what locals sometimes call the Grid, I honestly wondered if it was nothing but a ghost town. I never seemed to encounter anyone else, Jägerkin or not. But then, one night, I was wandering aimlessly around the land called Antiquity, when I heard someone greet me. I was surprised, and I didn't know how I would be received, having never met any of the locals. But he was wearing a uniform, and he had a nice hat, so I figured hey, vy not?

I learned a couple of things from him: one, that there are other Jägermonsters in the land, and two, that he had never actually met one before. His words were something to the effect of "just because I have not seen them, does not mean they aren't here."

He also told me about a group of people in Antiquity who engage in fighting with each other... for fun. Ha! In a land such as this, how can there not be Jägerkin involved?

He was a very nice man. And like I said, he had a nice hat. It was well done.

Later in the evening, utilizing my personal transport device that I suppose every resident of this Grid must have, though this has not yet been confirmed for me (the man I talked to disappeared in the manner of the transport device, and it didn't seem strange), I travelled to the northern lands of Caledon for the first time. The few people I happened across didn't seem fazed by me, which was good, but neither did they want to talk to me. In the far north of Caledon, I had to stop when I reached a body of water, but I could see land on the other side, so with another vy not? I swam across the Caledon border into Winterfell.

Winterfell. What a beautiful place! I shook my hair out, dumped the water out of my hat, and kept walking. I wandered through the fog of Winterfell until I found buildings and streets again. Perhaps more people? No, no one was there. But I heard the crackling of a fire, and a wet Jäger and fire make good companions. Imagine my surprise when I noticed the sign proclaiming Der Hut des Jägers. Inside... strong liquor, and a map of Europa.

Oh, now I knew I was in the right place after all. I felt at home again.

I sat by the fire, warming myself inside and out with the help of some local spirits.

And I smiled.

No comments: